Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Low Carb & Livin' with it...



In this day of beautiful bodies, there are a few of us who actually watch the carbs and fat because – hey it’s the HEALTHY thing to do. I don’t know about you but I would like to stick around for a while! And yeah, I wouldn’t mind lookin’ good doin’ it either. But like I said for some of us it’s just necessity, not vanity. Be it family history or poor diet in my youth, I now need to watch the stuff I throw down my throat. So, I dutifully belly up to the apothecary bar every morning for vitamin shooters with fish oil chasers. Then it is off to punish the treadmill or stepper for a while. I consider it punishment for the equipment because it has to endure being stomped on everyday, sweated on every day and what reward does it get? We affectionately call our home gym the torture chamber.

The real problem is I kinda don’t like to eat things that don’t taste good…silly me. I am always looking for something yummy that doesn’t trash my carb count for the day or pump me full of fat.

Zuccuccini! Okay so it’s not a word. In plain English it is zucchini cut with a mandolin to the depth and width of fettuccini. Now, with this dandy little low carb, low fat, high fiber “noodle” you can make some really neat dishes that don’t feel like low carb. Okay so it ain’t pasta, but remember we are being healthy today…Sauté these ”noodles” up in a bit of olive oil, butter (remember I said bit not block) and a little garlic and you have a nice fresh side dish – add some fresh grated GOOD parmesan, increase the portion and you have your self a nice meal. If fat is an issue, well you can drop the butter, but parmesan is not really that bad calorie wise… a little goes a long way. Weigh it you’ll see.

I don’t steam because, well, then its just skinny zucchini and no added flavor.

This little cheater is also a pretty sauce holder too. We use it to replace noodles for some of our favorite dishes. It seems to be better suited for creamy sauces, tomato or clear sauces tend to over power and not stick very well.

This recipe is not quite fat free but if you moderate the sauce, it is a healthier alternative to heavy real pasta.

No comments: