Saturday, August 22, 2009

Zia Zhiang Mien

One of my mostest favoritest dishes at the local Chinese restaurant is Zia Zhiang Noodles and one of my mostest favoritest blogs is "use real butter" - with a name like that how can you go wrong -right?



Anyway I can't tell you how THRILLED I was to come across Jennifer's post titled "Very Cool". She gives a fabulous (as always) recipe with gorgeous (as always again) pictures and instructions that even my husband could follow! Okay, maybe not M, but you get the idea. The recipe of the day was Zia Zhiang Mien and I just could not pass it up!

A few months ago a little Asian Market (ya, that's what they call it too!) opened up right across the street from where I work. I had occasion to drop in to pick up fish sauce for last week's short ribs and was completely in awe of all the neat stuff they had! With recipe in hand I dropped in and started the hunt for all the lovelies in Jennifer's Dad's recipe. Well, thank gawd she had pictures of everything! Let me tell you, Asian Markets are, well, Asian, and 99% of what they have is not labeled in English (some stuff was but where's the adventure in that?!). Anyway with lots of hand gestures and some help from the shop keeper's son I was able to get everything I needed and all for under 20 bucks. I just LOVE this place!!!!

There's lots of chopping and dicing which I find to be pure joy. And I was inspired by the beauteous photos so I even put everything into pretty little bowls and took my own photo - not as pretty as Jen's but I'm proud just the same.

The recipe turned out just wonderful, reminiscent of my local fave, but much better. I was so pleased, it even looked right - and the flavors were perfect - although just a tiny bit too spicy for me, so next time I will cut the chili garlic sauce by a little - not a lot though, the flavor mellowed a little over night (left overs for lunch - heaven!). I don't know about you but when I can reproduce (even better) a dish that I have had in a restaurant I fee pretty good! Give this one a try you won't be disappointed.

You can find the recipe here.

No comments: